These articles lay out the basic premise and methodology for the testing we do here at The Center Column.
The Torsion Spring Test
- The tripod as a torsion spring.
- Measuring the tripod’s stiffness and damping
- The same stiffness test about the perpendicular axis
- Consistency of the torsion spring test
Tripod Head Testing
Head Lock Shift Test
Moment of Inertia Testing
- Methodology for Measuring a Camera’s Moment of Inertia
- Methodology for Measuring a Tripod’s Moment of Inertia. Just like a spring has some weight to it, a tripod has inherent MOI that we need to account for when estimating the performance of the entire camera + support system.